This assignment was to create an advertisement for a typeface using only typographic solutions. It took me a while to decide to add this one to my blog. I couldn’t quite decide if I liked it or not. The piece feels to me as though it is lacking something. In the end I decided to put it up here because parts of it were sucessful. For my typeface I chose Copperplate Gothic. That particular typeface is often used on corporate nameplates, so I tried to make part of the ad look as though it was a nameplate. That was the part of the ad that I felt was sucessful. The rest of it was just kind of blah. The typeface is clean, so I tried to reflect that in the design, but it felt a bit too clean to me in the end.
I took an unfinished dragon sketch that I did and put it in In Design, used a separate layer to draw over it using only text glyphs, then deleted the image. I only used typfaces that I already had on my computer. No characters were warped in any way, though I did resize and rotate the characters freely. Click on the PDF link for the original, higher quality file.
This was done in In Design for a project to create the twenty-seventh letter of the alphabet. I invented Arah, which sounds like the French pronunciation of the letter “R”.